Sunday, June 30, 2013

Back in Canada, eh?

I have made it safely to Abbotsford.  It was a very long Wednesday, which included a nine hour plane ride.  I didn't sleep a wink on the plane, which is very unusual for me since I usually nod off at some point.  Some of it may be due to the fact I was flying mostly during the daytime, some may be due to the excitement of seeing people I haven't seen in ten months.  Either way, I didn't sleep until I went to bed at 7:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time.  Funny thing with this jet lag, is that you think you could sleep for days, but alas, three or four hours later, I'm wide awake again!  It's getting better.  
First days here were kind of drizzling and wet, but yesterday and today have been beautifully sunny and warm.  I was able to see Mount Baker!  Sometimes it can stay hidden for a while, behind the clouds. 

Mt. Baker taken from the deck outside the bedroom I'm staying in.  

I am staying at my brother and sister-in-law's place.  They live on a hill, which has a beautiful view of Sumas prairie as well as Sumas, Washington.  Can't beat this view on a sunny day!  

The one draw back of living on a hill, is when you're bicycling or going for a run, invariably you go down and you have to go up at some point before you come back.  The trick is finding that route that isn't too terribly strenuous to run or bicycle, or just decide to walk the steep hill.  
Sumas Prairie.  Farther mountains are in the US.

I have been able to meet up with some friends, been able to taste some specific foods, (I LOVE the Monty Mushroom burger at White Spot, poutine, Coffee Crisp) and go on some bicycle rides and enjoy the wonderful cow and pig smells a farming prairie can offer.  (I can smell the difference between the different animal manure.  Benefits of having grown up on a dairy farm.)  
I look forward to seeing some more folks when I worship at Gateway CRC this morning.  "This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

























No comments:

Post a Comment