Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Imperial Palace Tour

Today I went to downtown Tokyo, with the Erwin's, to tour the Imperial Palace.  First thing I totally forgot was to bring ID!  I usually travel with my ID but decided to bring my smaller bag which didn't have my ID.  I didn't transfer the documents into the smaller bag.  God must have had a hand somewhere because we were never asked for ID, even though the confirmation email said to bring ID!  The people in front of us were asked to produce their ID but they just counted us and passed us on!  
It was an interesting tour.  The tour was all in Japanese, but we had headsets that had English.  The Japanese tour took a whole lot longer than the English one, which makes me wonder if they were sharing more information in Japanese than in English.  It was still quite informative. In 1868 Emperor Meiji moved to Tokyo from Kyoto.  The Emperor has lived in Tokyo since that time.  
This wall was made with stone and some of the stones had markings from feudal families or lords or some sort of what used to be rulers (I can't remember).
Fujimi-yagura - It is three stories tall and was reconstructed in 1659.  It's a watchtower. 
Imperial Palace - Chowaden Hall, Left side is the South Porch and the right side is the North Porch, where many of the visiting dignitaries come through the North Porch. That green metal thing is there to represent a pine tree.  
Straight ahead is the balcony where the Emperor and Empress and Members of the Imperial family stand on January 2nd for the New Year, and again on December 23rd for the Emperor's birthday.
Hasuikebori (Lotus Moat) - this apparently is beautiful when in bloom in the summer.
Entrance gate to the East Gardens also known as the Ote-mon Gate
Tenshukaku Donjon in the East Gardens - original was completed in 1607, was destroyed in the Great Fire of  1657 and it has never been reconstructed but only the stone wall that formed the foundation is there today.
Tokagakudo Concert Hall built in 1966.  Taken from on top of the Tenshukaku Donjon.
Wendy's in Roppongi!  Had a double cheese burger.  Sometimes I miss that North American food!
Before you think I had a fantastic memory, I had an Imperial Palace pamphlet that helped me.  
It was a chilly day and another great opportunity for me to ride the trains, helping me to understand the system a little better.   I had a great time with the Erwin's and I learned a lot!  I did take a few more pictures and you can find them on www.flickr.com/photos/wlangelaar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment