Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas in Japan!

So, this is Christmas, in Japan.  It's like any other day.  I went to the Seiyu to pick up some things and there were people shopping, working, delivering packages, cleaning the streets, delivering propane, picking up garbage, students attending school, even newspapers were delivered, just like any other day.  
I, however, was able to have a bit of a special day.  Hana and Jenny, let me sleep in until 7 this morning.  They both were so excited to come downstairs, you'd think they had presents under the tree, or saw Santa Claus during the night, or heard reindeer on the roof, or something.  Anyway, we went through our regular morning routine.  Like any other day this break, Hana sits on the left and Jenny on the right, while I eat breakfast, hoping for some crumbs or a crust!  
I bicycled down to the local Seiyu for some items and then sat outside with both dogs for about an hour.  The dogs were enjoying their time outside in the sun.  It was warm, but not so warm as to only wear a t-shirt.  
Jenny and Hana enjoying the sunshine this Christmas day!
I was able to have Christmas dinner with the Essenburgs, who are CRWM missionaries that work at Christian Academy in Japan.  It was a great dinner with turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, cream corn, rolls, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, frozen fruit salad, cookies, candy, chocolate, gingerbread and even banket!  We also sat at the table and worked at a Christmas jigsaw puzzle!  
I made it home in time to take Jenny for a bit of a run and Hana for a sniff/walk.  While on our walk between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m., there were still businesses open.  Here are some pictures taken during the dogs and my run/walk this Christmas day evening. 
Sorry for the blurriness, this is City Hall at about 5:30 p.m. on Christmas Day.
Christmas lights by a home a couple of blocks away.

Flower Shop

Dogs were getting hair cuts here.

The bread store

Neighbor's place down the street
Christmas 2012 was like no other Christmas for me, mostly because I spent it in Japan.  In a sense, I was able to celebrate this day, keeping it simple.  I pray that you may have a chance to reflect on what Christ's birth here on earth means to you.  Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment