Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Last days in Canada

Within 24 hours I will be on a plane heading back to Narita, in Japan.  It will have been almost 7 weeks that I was in North America.  These 7 weeks were busy with a lot fun things packed into these weeks.  I was able to visit a large number of family and friends all across the North American continent.  I have been blessed. 
So, on my last week here, I spent one day at Point Roberts.  Point Roberts is actually at the end of a peninsula that is US land, but you can only go there through Canada, unless you go by boat.  It's not very large, but has some nice beach front property and some public beaches.  Joyce and I were able to spend the day visiting a couple of the parks in Point Roberts.  First stop was Monument Park, which is right along the Canada/USA border.  You can literally cross back and forth, although they do have cameras watching and you'll probably get picked up pretty quick if you cross. 
A little history.
Here's the actual monument with its location.
Full picture of the monument.
The park area.
There is a path that heads down to the beach.  That house on the right is in Canada.
There are a couple of switchbacks on the way down.
The beach!  Notice, it is a rocky beach.
Next stop was Lighthouse Marine Park.
Mountains in the distance is Vancouver Island.
Looking out into Georgia Strait
The next day, I went with another friend, Yolanda, to White Rock. White Rock is actually on the other side of the bay of where Point Roberts is, but it is on the Canadian side.  They have a pier that goes out into the bay.  Many people walk that pier and at the end some of the younger folk jump into the water from the pier.  Others try to catch crab.  There are some great restaurants there.  I enjoy eating at Charley Don't Surf.  They have good fish and chips! 
White Rock Pier
Sun is starting to set...
 Friday evening I went to a BC Lions vs. Hamilton Tiger Cats Canadian Football game!  It's been a very long time since I've been to BC Place.  It was pretty cool! They have a retractable roof now! 
BC won the game!
Saturday, I went with my brother and two if his grandchildren to the Abbotsford International Airshow.  It has also been quite a few years since I have been to the airshow in Abbotsford.  It has changed a lot, but it was fun to go.  I did find that many of the jets were no longer there.  Much of the program were the smaller war planes or aerobatic type planes.  The pictures do not do justice to the planes, but it was fun none-the-less.
Abbotsford Inernational Airport.






Can you see the smoke? This was a glider.
There it goes! CF 18 Hornet
 Canadian Snowbirds!
Gotta love those Snowbirds!
Sunday, I was privileged to be able to share about the ministry at Christian Academy in Japan at Gateway CRC.  I am blessed to have so many supporters!
Thank you to all the people who let me stay at their house, took me out for a meal, fed me a meal at their house, took me out for coffee, came with me to do fun things, but also thank you to those of you who prayed for safe travels and for the ministry at CAJ. 
Now on to the next school year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment