Saturday, November 10, 2012

Experience after experience...

You wouldn't believe what I did last night!  Friday evening I attended Christian Academy in Japan's High School play, Arsenic and Old Lace.  It was quite a fun evening.  The High School students did a great job!  Many of them had to pull off accents in English, which is probably not a first language for many of the actors.  Punch lines were hit and the audience was quite lively.  It was quite an enjoyable way to spend an evening.  
Beautiful day for a bicycle ride


Bicycle shop
You wouldn't believe what happened to me today!  Bette and I decided to take a bicycle ride to Lake Sayama-ko.  It is only about 10 - 15 kms away.  It was a beautiful day.  We took the path along the river for much of the way to the lake.  On one of the inclines to cross a road, I pushed hard on the pedals on the bike to get up the incline and the chain broke!  Bette consulted her iPhone map and figured out that we were not far from a train station and near train stations there are usually bicycle repair shops.  Sure enough, about a kilometer walk, we found this lovely family owned bicycle repair shop.  I was shocked by this little old lady (we figure she must be about 80+ years old) who was sitting on her haunches fixing a bicycle!  She was really small in stature, barely taller than the bicycles, but she was definitely the boss.  We had younger people help us but they were consulting her for decisions.  
There's the owner. See, she's just a little taller than the bicycles.
Bette and I went to Doutour for a cup of coffee while we waited for them to put the new chain on the bicycle.  After about 45 minutes, we went back to pick up the bicycle and it was all ready, they even pumped the tires up.  
We decided to continue bicycling to the lake.  I'm glad we did, it was quite beautiful, as the following pictures show.  
Path by the lake

Lake Sayama-ko

We were able to see Mt. Fuji as well (not in the pictures), but Mt. Fuji doesn't show up very well on the pictures.  One day I may try to hike up Mt. Fuji so I can get good pictures of that mountain!  Anyone willing to hike up with me?  

1 comment: