Sunday, August 12, 2012

First 24 hours

Vancouver International Airport Gate 73
Air Canada Flight 003 to Narita/Tokyo
So, it has been a little under 24 hours in Japan and I have had very positive experiences so far.
Let me go back a bit. Friday on the west coast of Canada, I was sitting in the Vancouver International Airport at gate 73 for my Air Canada flight 003 to Narita/Tokyo.  The flight was about 9 hours from gate to gate.  I had 2 good meals during the flight and watched almost 3 movies.  Once I landed, it was an adventure as I had some language barriers which made me think, boy I wish I had taken some Japanese language studies.  I did make it through immigration, with the help of a person who was behind me and did some translation when I wasn't sure what I was being told. Customs was a breeze.  The VanderHaaks were standing there waiting for me when I walked out.  They had their van parked ready for all three of my suitcases and backpack.  
Freeway as we got closer to Tokyo
On the way to their place we stopped at a convenience store for something to drink.  That was my first exposure to what it is like to go shopping even for drinks and a snack. Brian and Bette were both VERY helpful in pointing out what certain things were.  I am grateful to have them and their experience to help me with my adjustment living in Japan. 
This morning, Bette and I bicycled to church. It was about a 20 minute ride.  The worship service was in Japanese but the sermon had a loose English translation available on headset. I had the privilege of meeting some of the Christian Academy in Japan (CAJ) staff, parents and alumni who also attend that church.  Afterwards it was an American/Canadian experience of having a coffee at Starbucks!
Thoughts thus far... I am soaking in as much as I can, but it seems like a lot right now. A ways down the road, I imagine that I'll be used to a lot and also will be able to navigate knowing where I'm going and having things be much more familiar. Roads are narrow and I am amazed at how well everyone navigates them.  Riding on the left side of the road is a bit of a switch, but I found that the more I was bicycling, the more I was getting used to it.  Remember to look right first instead of left first when crossing the road because the closer traffic will be coming from your right.  Look for the mirrors at the intersections to see if anyone is coming down the road.  I have to learn to eat with chop sticks. I plan to do some practicing, very soon.
Tomorrow I go to city hall to register, I'll also open up a bank account, and probably get a cell phone.
Thank you to everyone who has been and continues to pray for me and the ministry here. God has answered many prayers and things have gone very smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment